This Roasted Okra dish is great to serve to okra skeptics. Roasting is a great way to cook okra that gets rid of the sliminess that can turn people off.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Trim around the stem end of the okra, without cutting in the pod itself.
3. In a bowl toss the okra, jalapeños, scallions, olive oil, and salt together. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The okra should be soft, browned and blistered in some spots.
5. Toss in a bowl with chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve.
- 1 pound okra, washed
- 4 to 5 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and sliced lengthwise into thick strips (or to taste)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, white parts also cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime, about 2 tablespoons
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you want a milder dish, substitute 1 poblano pepper for the jalapenos.