This Roasted Okra dish is great to serve to okra skeptics. Roasting is a great way to cook okra that gets rid of the sliminess that can turn people off.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim around the stem end of the okra, without cutting in the pod itself.
- In a bowl toss the okra, jalapeños, scallions, olive oil, and salt together. Spread evenly onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The okra should be soft, browned and blistered in some spots.
- Toss in a bowl with chopped cilantro and lime juice. Serve.
- 1 pound okra, washed
- 4 to 5 jalapeño peppers, deseeded and sliced lengthwise into thick strips (or to taste)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces, white parts also cut in half lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1 lime, about 2 tablespoons
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you want a milder dish, substitute 1 poblano pepper for the jalapenos.