I have always wanted a really good chicken meatball sandwich for our site. Now I have it. This one is a healthier, very tasty, and extremely easy take on a tried and true classic. Spicy chicken meatballs are sunk into cheddar melted onto sweet whole-wheat bun, then topped with garlicky pesto. What could be more delicious? And if you like it, add some peppery arugula to your sandwich for the tasty, cancer fighting benefits of the cruciferous family!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice onion and red pepper and sauté until onions are soft. Season with salt and pepper. Once slightly cooled, add to ground chicken. Add jerk seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well until all ingredients are combined.
- Form ground chicken into 2-ounce balls. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are a golden brown and have an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Meanwhile, place a slice of cheese onto each bun. Once the meatballs are out of the oven, place buns in oven for 2-3 minutes until cheese begins to melt. When the cheese is soft and melted, take the buns out of oven and add a teaspoonful of pesto to each. Place two meatballs on each bun plus a little arugula if using. Serve.
- ½ onion
- ½ red pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 8 wheat buns
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto sauce
- 1 cup baby arugula (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For a creamy Italian style sandwich, swap the cheddar for sliced buffalo mozzarella. These meatballs are great to cook and freeze for another day. Just cook them as you would normally, allow them to cook, then freeze in a ziplock bag, labelled with the date. Be sure to use them within three months.