This easy summer strawberry slushie recipe is a twofer. When strawberries come into season in the summertime, their extraordinary flavor puts imported winter supermarket berries to shame. This recipe shows you how to prep these delicious berries for the freezer so you can enjoy the taste year-round while giving you the ingredients for scrumptious summery treats. Frozen berries that don’t make it into your slushie can be kept in the freezer and put to good use in our Super Simple Gelato, or used for compote. But you may just want to slurp them all in this slushie. The lemon juice and sugar enhance the ‘strawberriness’ of the berries making this perfect fruity treat extra delicious. Try it on a hot summer’s day – you won’t regret it!
- How to freeze the strawberries: Hull the washed strawberries and pat dry. Arrange them in a single layer on a small cookie sheet. Pop the sheet into the freezer until they are frozen solid, about 90 minutes. At this point, you can roll them off the tray to be either used immediately, or bagged in resealable bags and stored in your freezer for future use.
- Blend the frozen strawberries in a blender with the lemon juice and sugar until smooth. Drink immediately.
- 4 cups strawberries, washed well (see Ann’s Tips)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, or to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
This is even easier to make with commercially frozen strawberries – buy organic if you do!