There’s really nothing more comforting than a chicken pot pie. We already have a delicious traditional pot pie on the site, but there’s always room for more. With fennel, celeriac, and potato, this Fennel & Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect stick to your ribs meal, and it’s also comforting and easy on your digestion.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large sauté pan heat olive oil. Brown chicken in pan, about 4 minutes. It need not be fully cooked yet.
- Add potatoes and celeriac and cook 3 minutes, stirring often. Next add fennel and onion and cook until vegetables begin to soften and become translucent.
- Add milk to the chicken and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle in flour. Stir until flour is well incorporated and slowly simmer to thicken, the sauce should stick to the back of a wooden spoon.
- Roll crust to a thickness of ¼ inch and line a medium sized baking dish, reserving a piece of crust large enough to cover the top of the pie. Dock the crust with a fork and blind bake for 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken and vegetable mixture to the par-baked crust and top with the other sheet of crust, removing the excess. Cut slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake pie for 30 minutes, until crust is golden. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve
- 2 large chicken breasts, 6 to 8 ounces each, cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup potatoes, sliced (Yukon Gold or fingerlings work well)
- ½ cup celeriac (celery root), diced
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- ½ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 recipe Whole Wheat Pie Crust or prepared pie crust.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Don’t feel bad about buying pre-made crust. It can make life so much easier.