I’ve always preferred my potato salads made with vinaigrette instead of mayonnaise. This delicious tropical tasting sweet potato salad makes for a great change from salads made with white potatoes. It is also a great way to keep nutrient rich sweet potatoes in your diet throughout the whole year. They’re good on a July 4th picnic as well as on the Thanksgiving table.
1. Rub the skin off the potatoes while they are still warm but not too hot to handle. Cut into chunks. Set aside.
2. Rub the cut side of the garlic on the inside of a large ceramic bowl. Add the lime zest, lime juice, cumin, salt, scallions and jalapeño, if using. Stir to mix. Add the mustard and mix together well.
3. With a whisk, beat the olive oil into the lime mixture a little at a time until the sauce has emulsified.
4. Add the potatoes a few at a time to the dressing in the bowl, gently tossing them as you go until the potatoes are well covered in dressing. Add the cilantro just before serving.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked or boiled in their skins until just tender
- 1 clove of garlic, cut in half (optional)
- Grated peel of 2 limes
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro