This Turkish style bean salad is really easy to make and completely delicious. All you need is some cannellini beans and some tahini. It is a real crowd pleaser and makes a perfect addition to any summer BBQ. Its rich creaminess offers a fabulous protein packed alternative to the more traditional potato salad, and will give your vegan guests a real taste treat along with great nutrition. Enjoy!
- Mix the cannellini beans, shallots and 6 tablespoons of the parsley together in a bowl. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a separate bowl, mix the tahini, lemon juice, Aleppo pepper, olive oil and water together until well blended. Gradually stir in the cider vinegar and beat until smooth. If it seems too thick, add the remaining water as needed to make the dressing smooth and creamy. Taste for salt.
- Pour the dressing over the beans and toss together until the beans are well coated. Let the salad sit in a cool place for 30 minutes to let the flavors develop. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and serve.
- 2 cans cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 2 medium shallots thinly sliced in half moons
- ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley divided
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoons Aleppo pepper flakes (see Ann’s Tips)
- 2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar (see Ann’s Tips)
- 2 tablespoons water or as needed
- sea salt
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Spicy Aleppo pepper is finely flaked and has a distinctive citrusy flavor. If you can’t find it, you can use red pepper flakes but, halve the quantity and try to sift out some of the seeds first.
You can use red or white wine vinegar instead of cider vinegar.