I love a good carrot salad. This cooked moroccan carrot salad was my go-to when I was going through chemo and couldn’t eat raw foods. It is sweet, lemony, delicious, and safe for a compromised immune system.
- Heat the olive oil over a medium high flame in a wide sauté pan. Fry the cumin seeds until they start to darken, about 30 seconds, then add the grated carrots. Sauté the carrots for about 2-3 minutes until they start to soften and caramelize.
- Add the lemon juice, water, and raisins. Mix well. When the liquid starts to bubble, pour everything into a large salad bowl.
- Cover and leave the salad to sit and cool for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors develop.
- Check for seasoning. Serve at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons water or to taste
- ⅓ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
- 4 large or 6 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Try using this same recipe substituting the carrots with other root veggies such as turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, or beets.