The tasty bite of sweet watermelon, salty cheese, and bitter arugula is really delicious. You will need a sweet, ripe melon for the best result. A good way to find that out is to tap the melon before you buy – if it sounds hollow, then it is ready to eat!
- In a bowl combine the thinly sliced onion and vinegar. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, cut the melon into 8-12 slices. Cut away the rind and cut the flesh into 1-inch chunks. Put into a large bowl.
- Mix the watermelon with half of the lime juice. Add more lime juice to taste. Let sit in the fridge to marinate and chill.
- Just before serving, quickly toss together with the cheese and the mint. Lay arugula down on a serving platter and top with watermelon and cheese mixture, and dot the onions over the top. Serve immediately.
- 1 medium shallot or ½ small red onion, sliced very thin
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 small watermelon, chilled
- 4 ounces fresh feta cheese or ricotta salata, cut or crumbled into small chunks
- 1 handful torn mint leaves
- Juice of 1 to 2 limes, or to taste
- 4 cups loosely packed arugula, rinsed