Wilted Kale & Walnut Salad is a great way to eat those leafy greens. You could substitute spinach, mustard greens, or chard for the kale.
- Strip the kale leaves from the tough stems. Wash the leaves well, then rip the leaves into medium pieces.
- Put the kale into a heavy bottomed pan with the water that clings to the leaves. Turn the heat up to medium-high, sprinkle with a little sea salt then cover. Steam until the kale has wilted and turned bright green, about 1-2 minutes. It should be tender but not too soft. If you''re in chemo, steam the carrots in this step.
- Drain the kale and run under cold water. Squeeze out excess water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and vinegar together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the kale into the bowl, along with the carrots, walnuts, and raisins, toss well and serve.
- 1 large bunch of kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon Thompson raisins
- ½ cup toasted walnut halves
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If in chemo, steam the carrots with the kale.