Wilted Kale & Walnut Salad is a great way to eat those leafy greens. You could substitute spinach, mustard greens, or chard for the kale.
1. Strip the kale leaves from the tough stems. Wash the leaves well, then rip the leaves into medium pieces.
2. Put the kale into a heavy bottomed pan with the water that clings to the leaves. Turn the heat up to medium-high, sprinkle with a little sea salt then cover. Steam until the kale has wilted and turned bright green, about 1-2 minutes. It should be tender but not too soft. If you’re in chemo, steam the carrots in this step.
3. Drain the kale and run under cold water. Squeeze out excess water and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, beat the oil and vinegar together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Pour the kale into the bowl, along with the carrots, walnuts, and raisins, toss well and serve.
- 1 large bunch of kale
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon Thompson raisins
- ½ cup toasted walnut halves
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If in chemo, steam the carrots with the kale.