These Yogurt Whole Wheat Biscuits are delicious. Served with fresh sliced strawberries topped with Greek yogurt instead of cream, they make a wonderful, healthy version of strawberry shortcake.
Wait until they are cool before cutting them gently in half with a serrated bread knife.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix yogurt with milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Rub chilled butter between fingertips into dry ingredients until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yogurt mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until the mixture is evenly moist and begins to form a ball of dough. Add 1 tablespoon of milk if too dry.
- Using a cup dry measure, scoop dough, and drop onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- 1 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup low-fat milk
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (see Ann’s Tip)
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you cannot find whole wheat pastry flour then substitute half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour. Just swapping in whole wheat flour will result in a drier and grittier biscuit.
Eat all sweet, sugary treats in moderation. A little bit of what you like does you good, but don’t overdo it!