Not only are these Coconut Halvah Muffins absolutely delicious, they are as easy to make as ABC. They are a great way to use halvah, the rich, sweet confection of ground sesame seeds and sugar that is popular around the Mediterranean, from Central Asia, through the Middle east, all the way round to Morocco. It’s a good thing. Sesame is a nutritional powerhouse, rich in folate and a slew of minerals including calcium and iron. These muffins bring it on home for a perfect breakfast or coffee break sweet treat. The sesame crumble topping is an added plus. Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 400 o Lightly spray a 12 muffin pan with cooking spray
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, unsweetened grated coconut, crumbled halvah, baking powder, salt and ground cinnamon,
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs, oil, sugar, milk and vanilla.
- Using a rubber spatula fold the egg-milk mixture into the dry ingredients until just blended. Don’t overmix.
- Make the Sesame Crumble: In a small bowl combine grated coconut, flour, sesame seeds, chia seeds and light brown sugar. Drizzle with the oil and mix with you finger tips until crumbly.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling a little more than ¾ of their way. Sprinkle the sesame crumble on top of the muffins. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are brown and springy. Remove from the oven and let them cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup unsweetened grated coconut
½ cup crumbled halvah
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened grated coconut
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 ½ tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Halvah comes in different flavors and you can experiment, but I recommend starting out with basic plain halvah for these muffins. You can find it on Amazon or www.foodsofnations.com.