These delicious homemade, spiced nuts are a far cry from the canned store bought varieties, and super easy to make. They are also my downfall. If I find a bowl in front of me, I simply cannot stop eating them. It could be worse. Compared to other snacks, these aren’t so bad. Despite their high calorie count, nuts are choc-a-bloc with healthy monounsaturated fats, protein, vitamins, minerals and cancer fighting antioxidants. This can’t be said for many of the popular snacks out there. Better yet, when you roast nuts at home, you control the salt and sugar. Yum!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a small bowl whisk the egg whites until light and foamy. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl mix the nuts with the cayenne pepper, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar until evenly coated. Stir in the egg whites 1 tablespoon at a time until well coated.
4. Spread the nuts onto a baking sheet lined with parchment and bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep a close eye on them so they do not burn.
5. Serve or let cool completely, then store in an airtight container.
Be the first to leave a review.