- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Coarsely blend 2 cups of the corn kernels with 2 tablespoons of buttermilk until it has the consistency of a chunky cream. Reserve the rest.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter. Mix well.
- Place rack in middle of the oven. With the butter, generously coat a 10 x 15-inch baking pan or 11-inch cast iron skillet and put it in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the butter has melted. Remove from the oven and quickly pour in the batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cornbread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan. Cut into squares and serve.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- ⅔ cup grape seed oil, or other neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Ann's Tips and Tricks
You can make substitute buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or 1 teaspoon of cream of Tartar to 1 cup of regular milk.