This fresh tasting Fall Slaw side salad combines the tastes of a trio of quintessential fall ingredients: soft, sweet napa cabbage, tart green apple, and crunchy fennel. I often use napa cabbage as a substitute for iceberg lettuce in salads. It brings all the nutritional power of the cruciferous veggie family with it. Fennel is no slouch either, soothing the digestion while tasting delicious. And you know what they say about an apple a day.
1. Pour the dressing into the bottom of a large bowl. Pile the cabbage, fennel, and apple over the dressing. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and toss to mix. Leave in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve cold.
To learn more about the health benefits of cabbage, read our article Slaw and Order!
- 1 cup thinly shredded green or napa cabbage
- 1 cup thinly shredded fennel bulb
- 1 cup tart apple cut into julienne strips, in lemon water
- 1 recipe of Cumin Scented Lime Vinaigrette
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Try using mild napa cabbage wherever you’d use iceberg lettuce. It will look similar, and taste sweet, but it packs a nutritional punch iceberg lettuces can only dream of.