This gingerbread loaf has all the flavors of the holidays. We use applesauce to keep the loaf a little healthier and top it off with a Greek yogurt and agave icing! You won’t know the difference in taste, but every little healthy substitution makes a difference. Nonetheless eat all these holiday indulgences in moderation.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, one tablespoon cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, two tablespoons ginger, and salt.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, apple sauce and molasses.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and remove from the pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, agave, and remaining cinnamon and ginger. Spread on top of the loaf while still hot after removing from oven.
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup agave nectar
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Always eat sweet treats in moderation!