This gingerbread loaf has all the flavors of the holidays. We use applesauce to keep the loaf a little healthier and top it off with a Greek yogurt and agave icing! You won’t know the difference in taste, but every little healthy substitution makes a difference. Nonetheless eat all these holiday indulgences in moderation.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, one tablespoon cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, two tablespoons ginger, and salt.
4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, apple sauce and molasses.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
6. Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and remove from the pan.
7. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, agave, and remaining cinnamon and ginger. Spread or drizzle on top of the loaf while still hot after removing from oven.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons plus one teaspoon ground ginger, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup agave nectar
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Always eat sweet treats in moderation!