This Greek Yogurt Creamed Kale is a delicious way to eat kale. This decadent, creamy version of the super-green may seem to be a remove from the idea of ‘kale-as-a-healthy’ and yet it still is. Lightly braising the kale keeps all its goodness intact, while adding Greek yogurt makes for a high protein low fat version of the usual cream sauce. Good to eat and good for you.
1.In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the stock. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and season with salt and pepper.
2. Add the kale to the pan, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The kale should be completely soft and most of the stock should be evaporated.
3.In a separate small bowl, mix together the yogurt, milk, and nutmeg. Remove the cooked kale from the heat and stir in the yogurt mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, cut in half lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt (see Ann’s Tips)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For an even lower fat content, use 2% yogurt instead of whole milk.