This Greek Yogurt Creamed Kale is a delicious way to eat kale. This decadent, creamy version of the super-green may seem to be a remove from the idea of ‘kale-as-a-healthy’ and yet it still is. Lightly braising the kale keeps all its goodness intact, while adding Greek yogurt makes for a high protein low fat version of the usual cream sauce. Good to eat and good for you.
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil and butter on medium-low heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the stock. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the kale to the pan, and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The kale should be completely soft and most of the stock should be evaporated.
- In a separate small bowl, mix together the yogurt, milk, and nutmeg. Remove the cooked kale from the heat and stir in the yogurt mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, small dice (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bunches Tuscan kale, cut in half lengthwise and chopped
- 2 cups whole milk Greek yogurt (see Ann’s Tips)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
For an even lower fat content, use 2% yogurt instead of whole milk.