I love Indian food! It is not all about long simmered sauces, there are many really quick and tasty vegetable dishes that are super-easy to make. This Indian-Style Stir Fried Cabbage dish is one of them. Cabbage, which was a VERY dull vegetable in my English childhood has been gussied up by some herbs and spices into something quite different. This is a great accompaniment to brown rice and dal, or with a grilled chicken breast. If you cannot tolerate spicy, leave out the hot green chili pepper. Savoy cabbage is a green cabbage with very crinkly textured leaves. It is more tender and I think it has a better taste than the smooth leaved green cabbage.
1. Heat the oil in a wok or wide sauté pan over a medium high heat until it starts to shimmer. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they start to jump and pop, about 30 seconds. Add the garlic and the chili and cook until they start to color and soften.
2. Add the shredded cabbage, sprinkle with salt, and cook stirring until it starts to wilt, about 8 minutes.
3. Add 1 tablespoon of water and half the lime juice to the hot pan. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook partially covered for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is tender but not too soft. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time if the cabbage becomes too dry.
4. Turn the heat up to medium high again, uncover and cook to let any excess liquid evaporate. Mix in the remaining lime juice and the chopped cilantro, adjust for salt and serve.
Read our article on the health benefits of cabbage.
- 1 tablespoon coconut or grape seed oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 thinly sliced small green chili, seeded
- ½ small head of Savoy cabbage (about 1 pound), cored and shredded
- ½ teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- Juice of 1 lime, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Ann's Tips and Tricks
A wok is the best thing to use if you have one – you’ll need much less oil for cooking. If you have to use a frying pan, you may need to add 1 tablespoon more oil.