This Broccoli Quiche is what we at CFYL call a fridge-emptier. You can use these ingredients as a guideline if you like. As long as you have a member of the onion family handy, here the leeks, and some garlic, parsley and a pepper, you can repurpose leftover kale or broccoli from another meal, or use fresh, as here. Either way it makes a great meal!
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-inch round baking pan.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a wide skillet. Add the leeks and poblano pepper and cook until the leeks are just beginning to turn brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the broccoli, kale, a small pinch of salt and cook, stirring until the kale is wilted and the broccoli is bright green. Turn off the heat.
4. In a medium bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with the chopped parsley, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
5. Spread half the broccoli mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking pan or pie crust, if using. Pour in half of the egg mixture, sprinkle with half of the goat cheese, then top with the remaining broccoli, eggs and goat cheese.
6. Bake in the oven to 10 to 12 minutes, or until the eggs have set and golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup leeks, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeds removed, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 cups broccoli, small florets, stems peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 cup shredded kale
- 5 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoons goat cheese
- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, par-baked (optional)