Homemade cranberry sauce is one of the easiest recipes to make on Thanksgiving and this homemade naturally sweet blueberry-cranberry sauce is sure to impress. Adding blueberries to cranberry sauce is perfect for people who want to cut the tartness of the cranberries without too much added sugar. The sweetness of the blueberries compliments the tartness of the cranberries perfectly and creates a rich deep beautiful color. Lemon and orange zest brighten up this sauce even more making it great alongside turkey and mashed potatoes but it can even be used as a topper for vanilla ice cream! Enjoy.
- In a medium sized pot, combine the blueberries, cranberries, and water. Cook over medium heat until the berries begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sugar, salt, lemon juice and orange juice to the pot. Cook on low heat, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add lemon and orange zest. Chill or serve warm.
- 1 pound blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 pound fresh cranberries
- ½ cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 medium sized orange, zest and juice
Ann's Tips and Tricks
I actually like this with plain yogurt for breakfast!