Although I know they’re good for you, I’ve always had a problem adding flaxseeds to my food, until this great Flax Seed & Walnut Pesto sauce was created for a Cook for Your LIFE class by Chef Melanie Underwood. This pesto is a totally delicious way to get flaxseeds into your diet that, to me, feels quite natural. Toss this nutritious condiment over veggies or pasta, or stir it into brown rice or quinoa. I think you’ll agree that it’s quite wonderful.
1. In a food processor combine the walnuts and flaxseeds, process until ground, about 1-2 minutes.
2. Add basil or parsley, garlic, Parmesan, and 2 tablespoons water. Puree until smooth and thick, adding more water, a little at a time, if necessary.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- 2 cups packed basil or Italian parsley leaves
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in a refrigerator or up to 1 month in a freezer. Bring pesto to room temperature before serving; do not heat.