This delicious Pastelón is a total crowd-pleaser. It is a healthier version of the traditional Latino Holiday classic and cuts the fat but keeps the flavor. This version uses homemade sofrito to build amazing flavor, while raisins and alcaparrado give it a deliciously sweet and salty tang. Instead of the usual beef, we’ve used ground turkey. Turkey is an excellent substitute for beef. It gives the dish a rich flavor that at the end of the day loses nothing except the saturated fat. This Pastelón is cancer fighting, heart friendly and tastes just as it should.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 by 9 baking dish with a little olive oil or Pam and set aside.
- Peel the plantains and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Place pieces in a large pot, cover them with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and cook until plantains are very soft, about 20 minutes. Drain and reserve 1 cup of the cooking water.
- Place the plantains in a medium bowl, add ½ cup of the reserved water and 2 tablespoon of the olive oil and mash with a potato masher until you get a thick, smooth puree.
- In the meantime, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sofrito and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly, until paste darkens. Add the turkey, tomatoes, oregano, alcaparrado, raisins and season with salt and black pepper. Stir frequently, breaking any lumps, for 8 to 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Set aside to cool.
- Spread 1/2 of the mashed plantains evenly over the bottom of the dish. Top with the turkey filling, spreading it in an even layer, and then cover with the remaining half of the mashed plantains. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the top is lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Chef Naxielly Dominguez.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If your pastelon is part of a family celebration you can make the sofrito ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer until you need it. It’s delicious as a base for many dishes, not just this one.
Be the first to leave a review.