When you’re feeling tired, this Pea Couscous with Poached Eggs makes for a super quick, super nutritious and super easy lunch or supper. You can get it to the table in 10 minutes, amazing for something that is completely natural in the real sense of the word, and not pre-packaged or microwaved. Who says you can’t get good food to the table in a few minutes? Not us!
1. In a medium stockpot, bring the water, salt and scallion stem to a boil.
2. Add the peas and baby spinach and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, then stir in the couscous. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
3. Add the black pepper and chopped scallions if using and fluff the couscous with a fork. Taste for seasoning. Serve topped with a poached egg.
- ⅔ cup water
- Salt, to taste
- 1 dark green scallion stem
- 2 inch piece of lemon peel
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas
- ¾ cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup regular or whole wheat couscous (See Ann’s Tips if you’re on a Bland diet)
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions, white and light green parts only (See Ann’s Tips if you’re on a Bland diet)
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 Poached Eggs
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are on a bland or low fiber diet, use regular couscous, and not whole grain, and instead of adding the peas and scallions, add cooked diced sweet potato, and sprinkle the couscous with a pinch of asafetida before fluffing.