Quinoa is one of the few grains that can boast being a complete protein. It’s a great addition to any menu, vegetarian or otherwise. This Quinoa with Roasted Winter Vegetables is our winter version of our Quinoa with Roasted Ratatouille a combo that puts easy sheet pan roasted summer vegetables on top of quinoa. As the seasons change, you can change up the roasted vegetables and herbs you use, so use our selection here as a guide. Whatever you choose, it’ll always be good. The only thing we recommend not changing are the tomatoes, as they bring all the flavors together.Enjoy!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, toss the squash, carrots, parsnips, turnips, and garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, chopped rosemary and salt. Spread them out into a single layer on two baking sheets. Toss the tomatoes into the same large bowl with any remaining oil, and set aside.
3. Roast the vegetables for 20 minutes. Turn the vegetables and add the tomatoes and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft, golden, and caramelized around the edges.
4. While the vegetables are cooking, put the washed quinoa, water, scallions, parsley, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil and salt, into a saucepan with a lid. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Take off the heat and set aside covered until you are ready to use it.
5. While the quinoa is cooking, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil in a large pan over a medium low heat. When it starts to simmer, add the shallots and sauté slowly until they turn golden and caramelized, about 8-10 minutes. Toss with the roasted vegetables and chopped parsley.
6. Remove the herbs and scallion greens from the quinoa. Fluff with a fork and pour onto a platter. Make a well in the center and spoon the roasted vegetables and herbs into it. Garnish with some parsley leaves and serve warm.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Be sure to wash the quinoa well before cooking as the grain has a bitter outer coating, saponin, that needs to be washed off before cooking. You can make the quinoa and store it in the fridge for up to 5 days to have on hand as a side.
You can buy pre-cut butternut squash for easier prep time
For extra protein, if you have any leftover chicken or turkey, shred the meat and when the scallions have almost finished cooking in step 5, add the meat to them and sauté together for 3-4 minutes.