Roasted cauliflower has become a staple in my house. This roasted cauliflower salad with lemon and capers is a deliciously easy way to make the most of any leftovers or as a dish to be made in its own right. The sweetness of the roasted cauliflower is wonderful with the classic combo of salty capers and a sharp, lemony dressing. The perfect antipasto or side dish, it is really yummy.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425F.
2. Break the cauliflower into large florets. Break down the largest florets into 2-3 pieces with your knife so that all pieces are of a uniform size.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drizzle with 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the cauliflower onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Turn the florets to coat in the olive oil. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Turn the florets over and cook 10 – 15 minutes more to brown the other sides. The florets will be soft and covered in brown spots.
4. Meanwhile, make the dressing. Put the lemon juice in a large bowl. Gradually beat in the remaining olive oil. If the dressing seems too sharp, beat in the water a teaspoon at a time until desired sharpness is reached. Stir in the capers. Let sit for 5 minutes. Taste for salt. Add the roasted cauliflower and toss to coat. Let sit for 10 minutes for the flavors to blend. Serve at room temperature.
- 1 medium to large cauliflower
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon Caper Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup salted capers, rinsed well
- salt to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you can’t find salted capers, use bottled capers under vinegar or brine. Rinse very well before adding to the dressing.
Speaking of the dressing, I most of the calories are here. You can take out 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and substitute with water to lighten it. Or you can just toss the cauliflower in 1/2 of it and add the rest as needed. it will keep in the fridge up to 4 days.