The natural sugars in this strawberry sweetener are perfect for giving your cakes, pastries or desserts a whole new dimension. Use it as a garnish or a sauce for plain cakes and gelatos, or instead of syrup on pancakes and French Toast. Ditch the soda and try stirring into water to add flavor, or mix it into your cake or pancake batters and, of course, into your smoothies. It’s a healthier way to add a little sweetness into your life!
1. In a small pot over low heat, cook the strawberries, orange juice, and sugar together.
2. Allow the strawberries to reduce and the mixture to simmer over low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
3. Once it appears that most of the juice has been extracted from the strawberries, taste it and adjust sugar as needed.
4. Continue to reduce to 1/4 cup.
5. Strain and reserve juice to be used as a sweetener.
Emily Lloyd, Drexel Food Lab
Ann's Tips and Tricks
In the wintertime, we suggest using frozen strawberries to make this.