This tasty vegan ‘cheese’ sauce is fantastic for making your kids a yummy plant-based Mac n’ Cheese, or anything else that could benefit from a creamy, cheesy tasting sauce, think cauliflower or broccoli, or veggie gratins and pasta dishes. Nutritional yeast gives the sauce its sharp cheesiness, along with fiber, a slew of minerals like magnesium and zinc, and also the vitamins thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, B6, Folate and B12 that vegans can’t always get enough of. Enjoy!
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. When butter is melted, using a wooden spoon, add in all the flour and stir until combined
- Continue to cook the butter and flour mixture for about 2 minutes, or until it develops a slight nutty flavor
- While mixing with a whisk, begin to add the soy milk to the pan with the butter and flour mixture. Start with a slow pour and gradually speed up. Continue until all the milk is added
- Whisk the mixture every couple of minutes, making sure to get the bottom of the pan so the flour can’t burn. Be careful to never let the mixture boil
- After 8-10 minutes, the mixture will be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in the mustard, the nutritional yeast, garlic powder if using and the salt. Add a grind or 2 of black pepper. Taste for salt and adjust the seasoning. It’s ready for use.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
You can use vegan ghee instead of vegan butter.
If you think your sauce needs more flavor, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder will do the job without any extra salt.
To give your sauce to have a more cheesy yellow color, stir in 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric with the flour.
If you don’t have a whisk, you can use a spoon to add in the milk. Stir vigorously and constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
Be the first to leave a review.