Summer is here, and when the grill is hot, it’s time to make baba ganoush! This is very easy to make, and uses items you probably already have in your fridge.
1. Heat the grill. (See Ann’s Tip, if you are not grilling)
2. Grill the eggplants until they are soft and their skins are charred and blackened. Let cool slightly. Cut them in half and scoop out the flesh into a bowl. Set aside. Discard the skins.
3. Chop the garlic and the salt together until they form a paste.
4. Pour the cooked eggplant onto the cutting board and chop them all together. Add the almond butter and yogurt to the eggplant and chop it in until well blended. Fold in the lemon juice if using. This entire step can be done in a food processor if you have one.
5. Fold in the lemon zest and pour the baba into a bowl. Leave covered in the fridge for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve with our Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Chips.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you’re not grilling, then you can simply bake the eggplant. For steps 1 and 2: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prick the eggplants and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes and let cool slightly. Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Set aside. Discard the skins. Continue onto step 3.
If possible, always use organic lemons when zesting. Their skin is pesticide and wax free. If all you can find are conventional lemons, wash the skins really well before you start work.
Be the first to leave a review.