Dark chocolate + coconut! If you love this combo as much as I do, this deliciously rich high-calorie Chocolate Coconut Smoothie will help you keep on the pounds during cancer treatment while giving you a total taste treat. It’s nutritious too. Agave nectar, which is twice as sweet as sugar, gives the right balance of sweetness to the cocoa powder without adding too many empty calories. Flax seeds are rich in ALA omega 3 fats, coconut milk is rich in B-complex vitamins and minerals, and coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, a saturated fat that studies have shown to actually raise levels of HDL (good cholesterol). Go for it!
- Add flax seeds to a blender. Blend the seeds until they form a powder.
- Add the coconut oil, coconut milk, cocoa powder, agave nectar and almond milk to the blender and puree until thick and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- ½ cup flax seeds
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)* See Ann’s Tips
- ¼ cup agave nectar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Don’t use drinking chocolate to make this drink – it won’t taste good. It has too little cocoa and too much sugar.
If your blender is not very powerful, as you grind the flax seeds add ¼ cup of the almond milk. This will help them turn into a fine puree so that your smoothie is smooth and not gritty.
To melt coconut oil: Stand the jar in a bowl of hot water until enough has turned liquid for the recipe.
Last but not least: don’t get too addicted to this drink. Once treatment is over, and your weight has stabilized, it will pack on unwanted pounds if you have too much too often.