This barbecue sauce is great for a wide variety of dishes. It is quick and simple to make and is packed with flavor. Refrigerating this sauce in a sealed container is the best way for you to perk up any meal last minute. It’s so easy to make at home. For best results make it with our homemade ketchup, so you have complete control over the amount of sugar. Barbecue sauce is a very sugary condiment so use in moderation.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the ketchup, water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, cayenne, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for about one hour until thick and rich in flavor.
- Allow the sauce to cool. Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce