This chicken stew is wholesome and hearty and is a great comfort meal during treatment. The vegetables added to the chicken and rice makes the stew colorful and nutritious with the perfect seasonings of thyme and basil for flavor. This stew is the perfect one pot meal when feeling fatigued or under the weather.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken to the pan and sear, about 4 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
- In a small pot, combine water and rice. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook the rice, covered, about 15 minutes, or until al dente.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat remaining two tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the eggplant and mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomato paste to the pot, and stir to coat the vegetables. Add the chopped tomatoes, basil leaves and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the rice and chicken to the pot. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the chicken and rice are cooked through.
Alex De Los Reyes, Drexel Food Lab
Be the first to leave a review.