This Potato & Pepper Stew is a great way to use either green or red peppers. It makes a fragrant stew that is delicious hot or at room temperature. It freezes well too! The trick is to cook the onions and the peppers slowly until they are slightly caramelized and sweet. Serve it as a side with grilled chicken, or just eat it on it’s own with a chunk of good bread and a sharp green salad. For a different savory breakfast, break eggs on top of it and bake it in the oven until the eggs are set!
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. When it starts to ripple, add the garlic and the fennel seeds. Fry until the garlic starts to color and the fennel seeds begin to darken.
- Add the lemon zest , fry for a minute, then add the onions. Sprinkle the onions with salt and sauté for a couple of minutes until they start to soften. Add the peppers and lower the heat to medium.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the onions have turned golden and the peppers have softened, about 10 to 15 minutes. Take care not to burn the onions. They should be sweet and golden, not burnt.
- Raise the heat to medium-high, add the diced tomatoes, cook for 3 minutes. Add the potatoes, lemon juice, and water, bring to a boil. Then lower heat, cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender. Adjust for seasonings and serve.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, smashed and sliced it thinly lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon, plus zest from ½ the peel
- 1 large Spanish onion, sliced thinly lengthwise
- 3 large peppers, red, yellow or green, sliced lengthwise
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, cored and diced or 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 pound small yellow potatoes (Yukon Gold), quartered
- 1 cup of stock or water
- Sea salt, to taste