If ever there was an antidote to heavy fruitcake, this is it. This simple Cranberry & Prune Cake not only looks like the holidays, it tastes like them too. The sweetness of the fruity, spicy cake is in delicious balance with the tart cranberries. And it’s even good for you as long as you don’t eat the whole thing, although you will be tempted. Enjoy!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch spring-form pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon zest, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time, scrape down the sides of the bowl, then slowly add in the flour mixture and the chopped prunes. Mix just until combined.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared baking pan, evenly spread the batter and smooth the top. Sprinkle the cranberries over the cake, and gently press into the batter. Sprinkle with the reserved 1 tablespoon of sugar.
5. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool, then serve.
Be the first to leave a review.