This yummy, easy salad is a cross between a vegetarian ‘chicken’ salad, and a Western relation of the North Indian street food chana chaat, that combines chickpeas with yogurt and spices among other things. For something that’s such a mix of metaphors, it’s really delicious, plus for cancer survivors and patients it contains probiotics from plain yogurt and antioxidant turmeric to give a boost to the system.
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, lime juice, olive oil, turmeric and coriander. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add half of chickpeas to bowl. Using a potato masher, mash chickpeas into dressing. Add remaining chickpeas, celery and raisins to bowl. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
- Chill at least 2 hours before serving.
Ally Zeitz, Drexel Food Lab
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you want to add a taste of South Asia, drizzle a little sour tamarind sauce over it.