French toast gives you a big bang for your buck. It’s a great way to turn dry bread into a special breakfast, and can actually be pretty healthy if you use a good whole wheat variety, I like sourdough, and pass on the sugary syrup. This version helps you to do just that by swapping butter and syrup for a richly delicious tahini based sauce infused with honey. Tahini is made from protein rich sesame seeds, and in combo with yogurt honey, it’s a creamy winner.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, ½ cup of the yogurt and the milk. If mixture looks too thick, add a few tablespoons of additional milk. Soak slices of bread in egg mixture one at a time, about a minute on each side, until bread becomes fully saturated. (See Ann''s Tips)
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining yogurt, tahini and honey and set aside.
- Place a griddle or nonstick sauté pan over medium heat and add vegetable oil. Working in batches, cook each slice of bread for about 2 to 4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve each portion of French toast drizzled with the reserved tahini sauce.
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup plain or vanilla yogurt, divided
- ½ cup milk
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you like vanilla yogurt, don’t buy store bought. It can have upwards of 6 teaspoons of sugar per serving. Either try our recipe, or simply beat 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla essence and 2 teaspoons of sugar (for that sweet tooth) into the the 3/4 cup plain yogurt before using. You’ll be pleasantly surprised by how good it is.
In step 1, I find it easier to put the bread slices into a baking dish and pour the egg mixture over them and turn them until all the liquid’s been soaked up.