Give your breakfast a twist with these Huevos Rancheros. Originally prepared as a working man’s morning meal in rural Mexican farms, it’s a deliciously satisfying way to start your day. The garlicky tomato sauce makes the eggs come alive, while the cilantro gives it a special zing.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add diced tomatoes and hot sauce. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and peppers and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Place cooked peppers and onions in a small bowl and reserve.
- To the same pan, add remaining olive oil. Add eggs and cook to desired doneness.
- Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm, about 15 minutes.
- Assemble tortillas on separate plates. Top each tortilla with tomato sauce, pepper-onion mixture, and one egg. Garnish with cilantro and cheese. Serve immediately
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup diced red pepper
- ½ cup diced onion
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese or queso fresco
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste