What can I say? These Lemon Poppyseed Cookies are completely delicious with or without the glaze. They are great as a snack with a cup of coffee or, as they say in the UK, with a ‘nice cup of tea’. They are also very easy to make, and store well in an airtight tin. If you’re in treatment and feel the need for a sweet pick-me-up coming on don’t go to the store, make these!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, poppy seeds, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Turn the speed to low, and beat in the flour mixture until well combined.
- Using a small ice-cream scoop or heaping tablespoon, form dough into a ball with hands, roll in the reserved 2 tablespoons of sugar, then place on the prepared parchment paper. Repeat until all the dough is used up, placing the cookies 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, they will not have browned and they will be cracked on top. Cool on a wire rack.
- If using a glaze, whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl until the sugar has been absorbed. Drizzle on the cookies once the cookies have cooled. Let the glaze set for 1 hour.
- 1¼ plus 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons reserved
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
Ann's Tips and Tricks
These are a perfect cookie to make a day or two before a chemo infusion. They will give you a sweet treat on hand to snack on. That said eat all sweets in moderation. A little bit of sweetness will make you feel good, but don’t overdo it.
If you cannot find whole wheat pastry flour then substitute half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour.