Let’s be real, we all have cake cravings. However, it often proves difficult to find a truly delicious cake that isn’t packed with sugar and calories. Look no further than our low-sugar angel food cake. It’s prettily pink, and is both tastier than classic angel food cake, and certainly healthier, especially if you’re considering store-bought. Whatever natural sugars there are in the orange juice in our strawberry sweetener, are balanced out by protein-rich egg whites. This is a cake that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth without too much-added guilt.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cooking spray onto the bottom only of an angel food cake pan. Set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the whisk attachment until they start to become foamy. Add the cream of tartar. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.
- Turn the speed on the electric mixer to medium. Add the strawberry syrup or our strawberry sweetener to the egg whites in a steady stream mixing as you go. Continue to mix until it is all combined with the egg whites.
- Sift the flour onto the egg white mixture 1/4 cup at a time, gently folding it into the egg whites each time with a spatula. Mix until just incorporated.
- Fill the prepared pan with batter. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until it springs back when touched and a knife inserted comes out clean.
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Be very gentle with the cake when you fold in the flour. You want to keep as much air in it as possible.