I am an advocate for using up leftovers. I hate waste. This Scrambled Eggs with Greens & Grains recipe is a fabulous way to turn leftover grains into a delicious, protein-packed dish that’s perfect for a quick lunch or brunch. You can literally make this with any grain or green you have on hand, making it a tasty, nutritious way to use up what you have in your fridge. Thrifty, easy, and good to eat- how great is that?
1. In a saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the greens, sprinkle with salt and cook, until wilted.
2. Stir in the leftover grains, eggs, a little more salt, and pepper. Scramble until the eggs are set. Serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium stalk of scallions, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 2 cups washed and chopped greens, such as kale, escarole, chard, or bok choy
- ½ cup leftover grain, such as farro, quinoa, barley, brown rice
- 3 eggs, lightly whisked
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Ann's Tips and Tricks
This is a perfect vehicle for any ‘bag and freeze’ greens you may have stored in your freezer, or for commercially frozen kale or leaf spinach too.