This fresh and easy shredded parsnip and carrot pesto slaw is a great side dish. Refreshing and light, this recipe is a great way to enjoy the taste of pesto in a dish that contains lots of nutrients.
1. Using a vegetable peeler, peel long ribbons of parsnips and carrots, rotating the vegetables to peel as much as possible. Place the parsnip and carrot strips into a large bowl. Toss with one tablespoon of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
2. To make the pesto, in the bowl of a food processor or blender, pulse the nuts and garlic with the remaining olive oil until the nuts are finely chopped. Add the basil leaves and pulse until they are also finely chopped. Pour the pesto into a bowl, and season with lemon juice, cheese, salt and pepper. If the pesto looks too thick, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil or water.
3. Toss the pesto with the shredded carrots and parsnips.
- 2 medium parsnips
- 2 medium carrots
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- ¼ cups toasted nuts (any type: pine nuts, walnut, almonds, pistachios)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste