Traditional ceviche uses only the acids from citrus to “cook” the seafood involved. Our shrimp ceviche is the perfect option if you prefer to cook the seafood first. By cooking the shrimp for a quick three minutes and then shocking it in cold ice water, you’ll still get the perfect consistency of shrimp and bright taste but without worrying if the seafood is safe to eat. With red onion, red pepper, pineapple, and topped with fresh cilantro this is the perfect dish to eat on a hot summer day when turning on the oven seems insane, or in the dull days of winter when you need a bright dish to lighten your day. Serve the ceviche on top of a single piece of romaine lettuce for a healthy and beautiful dish.
- In a medium saucepot, bring water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for about 3 minutes or until pink. Remove from water and shock in a bowl of ice water to prevent overcooking.
- Once cool, chop shrimp into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine shrimp, lime juice and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Chill for one hour.
- Add in onions, pepper, pineapple, and cilantro. Chill an additional hour.
- To serve, scoop ¼ cup of ceviche into a single piece of romaine lettuce. Repeat with remaining ceviche mixture.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled & deveined
- ½ cup lime juice
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- salt and pepper to taste