This spring herb vinaigrette is a light, fresh-tasting dressing that brightens up the simplest lettuce salad into a spring feast. The herbs we suggest all come into season in the spring. It uses two of my favorite herbs, chives, and chervil. Chives start springing up as soon as the last frost has passed to give us their delicate oniony taste. Chervil has a very light and sweet anise taste. The season to buy chervil is very short, so grab it whenever you see it at your local greenmarket. If you can’t find it, check Ann’s Tips for substitutions. Click here for the video!
1. Whisk the vinegar and the salt together in the bottom of a large salad bowl until the salt melts.
2. Gradually whisk in the olive oil and then the water. It is the water that makes this dressing super light.
3. Stir in the herbs. Pile the greens on top of the dressing and toss everything together when you are ready to eat.
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon of chives, cut into ¼ inch lengths
- 2 Tablespoons chervil, leaves pulled from the stems and very lightly chopped
Ann's Tips and Tricks
Let the vinaigrette sit 5-10 minutes for the flavors to blend before tossing it together with the salad.
If you can’t find chervil, use 1 tablespoon of lightly chopped tarragon leaves.