I happen to be a huge fan of turnips. I love their sweet peppery flavor. These turnip grits with their rich grits-like porridge are the perfect comforting small plate when treatment has left you weary and not up for much. Taste aside, the benefits of turnips are many; they are low carb, which won’t sap your remaining energy, and with cousins kale and cabbage, which are part of the cancer fighting cruciferous family, they are some of the best allies a person can have on the cancer journey. Go turnips!
- Bring the milk to a boil in a saucepan. Place the turnips into the hot milk and cook
- Strain the turnips, reserving the milk.
- Put the turnips into a blender with ½ cup of reserved milk, olive oil, salt, and cream
- 1 quart low fat milk
- 4 turnips, peeled and chunked
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese