This is both delicious and vegan. Coconut oil is the key, and it gives the usual butter a real run for its money. This vegan coconut crumble topping is perfect for all fruit crumbles, particularly our Wyman’s Mango Lime Crumble. Give it a try.
1. In a large bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together with a fork until well blended.
2. Make a well in the center and pour in the coconut oil. Start to mix together with the fork until you have a lumpy mixture. Dust with the tablespoon of flour and gently rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until the crumble looks like chunky breadcrumbs. Don’t over mix.
3. Spread onto a small baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with cling wrap and chill for at least an hour, or until you are ready to use it. Chilling hardens the coconut oil and will make the crumble crispier.
4. When you are ready to use it, quickly break the crumble up with your fingers or a fork and sprinkle it over the fruit of your choice. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
- ¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour +1 Tablespoon extra for dusting
- ¼ cup unsweetened desiccated shredded coconut
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup organic sugar (Florida Crystals)
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
Ann's Tips and Tricks
It is important to freeze the crumble before scattering over the fruit. The crumble won’t work as well if you use it soft.