1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a sauté pan. Add onions and oregano, and cook until the onions are translucent and turning brown, about 5 minutes. Add in the cumin and cayenne and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add the black beans and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and puree the mixture until desired smoothness is reached. Add in water or bean broth a teaspoon at a time if the dip is too stiff. Stir in salt and lime juice. Adjust for seasoning and serve warm or at room temperature with Baked Tortilla Chips.
- 2 teaspoons canola or grape seed oil
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano, if you can find it)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch cayenne, to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed or 2 cups of Basic Black Beans, some broth reserved
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)