These Brown Butter Ginger Cookies were initially a crumb topping for our delicious Ginger Pot De Creme recipe, but we decided they stand alone as a fantastic and simple sweet treat! They are the perfect cookies to have around during the holidays or as a dessert anytime. They are intensely gingery with both ground ginger and fresh grated ginger root, so be prepared for an awesome cookie.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until deep golden brown, about 8 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and transfer butter to a small bowl. Let it cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Raise oven temperature to 375 o Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer beat butter, light brown sugar and salt until creamy about 2 minutes. Add ground ginger, grated ginger, vanilla extract and egg whites and mix until well combined. Add flour mixture and mix until incorporated, do not overmix.
- Drop two tablespoons of batter per cookie on prepared baking sheet, leaving space between cookies. Bake for 15 minutes until edges are brown. Transfer cookies onto a wire rack to cool completely.
5 ounces unsalted butter
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons fresh finely grated ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg whites