I first tasted Ginger Pot de Creme in a little Vietnamese restaurant in Paris. Amazingly it was made with tofu and I simply loved it. Chef Naxielly Dominguez and I were chatting about favorite dishes as often happens with us, and this came up. She decided to have a go at making a tofu Ginger pot de Creme and I’m very glad she did. Her version is simply delicious. The recipe is a two-fer as the Brown Butter Ginger Cookies she uses for the crumbs are yummy in their own right, and can be made ahead of time. If you don’t use them all on the rich little Ginger Pots de Creme, put the leftovers in an airtight tin to snack on with a cup of tea or coffee. So good!
- Preheat oven to 325 o
- To make the Pot de Crème, heat the evaporated milk and ginger in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Bring it to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Whisk together the whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until thick and pale yellow.
- Pour a small amount of hot milk over the egg and whisk to combine. Slowly whisk the remaining hot milk into the egg mixture.
- Place drained tofu and vanilla extract in a blender and add the milk-egg mixture. Puree until smooth and well blended. Strain the mixture into a bowl and let it stand for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally to help remove some of the foam from the top. Divide the mixture evenly into 10 (6-ounce) ramekins (see Ann’s Tips).
- Place ramekins into a roasting pan about 3 to 4-inches deep. Add boiling water to the roasting pan to immerse the ramekins halfway. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the custards are set yet slightly wobbly in the center. Remove ramekins from the oven and let them cool completely. Transfer ramekins to the refrigerator and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Make the Brown Butter Ginger Cookies
- Crumble cookies on top of each chilled pot de crème and serve immediately.
Chef Naxielly Dominguez
Ann's Tips and Tricks
You can easily halve the Pot de Creme recipe and use smaller 4 ounce ramekins to get 6-8 portions. As the pots will be smaller, check them for doneness after 40 minutes. Keep leftover cookies in a tin for snacks.
Be the first to leave a review.