Pear Cranberry Oatmeal with toasted walnuts is a deliciously easy way to start your day. The flavor of tart dried cranberries paired with sweet pears is a match made in heaven. While toasted walnuts add a savory crunch and healthy fats, along with the addition of milk or yogurt, they also add protein which helps bring this grainy breakfast down on the glycemic scale, and all while tasting delicious. Yum!
- Mix the oats, water, salt and cranberries in a pan. Bring to a boil, stir well and then lower the heat to a low simmer. Cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, stirring the oatmeal from time to time so that it doesn’t stick.
- While the oatmeal is cooking, halve the pears and scoop out the cores with a teaspoon. Cut pears into a small dice. When the oatmeal has cooked, stir in the diced pears until is well mixed. Cover and turn the heat off. Leave the oatmeal and pears for 5 minutes to steam. While you’re waiting, roughly chop the walnuts.Set aside.
- Serve sprinkled with the walnuts, some diced banana if desired, and with the milk or yogurt of your choice on the side.
- 1 1/3 cups rolled oats
- 2 2/3 cups water
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 2 small Bosc or Bartlett pears
- 2-3 tablespoons walnut pieces, lightly toasted
- 1 diced banana (optional)
- Milk or Yogurt of your choice to taste (Vegan? See Ann’s Tips)
Ann's Tips and Tricks
If you are vegan, instead of yogurt, try this with our sweet cashew cream. It’s totally yummy.